terça-feira, 1 de abril de 2008

Connecting...

It seems I´ve been so busy lately, getting our English school year started, our kids well adjusted in school and trying to keep up with the house, that I haven´t had time to think about writing anything in my blog, or trying to figure out what´s going on inside of me. Now that things are settling down somewhat, I´ve suddenly realized that I don´t have many close friends, or kindred spirits. There are very few people that I can open up to, that I feel understand a little about me, and not many people have opened up to me either. Even though I try to keep up on what´s going on in some people´s lives through their blogs, orkut and emails, I wonder, am I really connecting to them?

I just heard a conversation between two ladies in the drug store this afternoon that went something like this:

- Hi, how´s it going?
- Oh, fine, how is your mom?
- She´s doing just fine! And how are your kids?
- They´re ok...one of them was sick last week but is fine now. And yours?
- They´re ok too. See you!

It made me wonder if in their minds they felt they´d had a connection. To me it seemed more like a ready-made speech than a real glimpse of what´s going on with them. And so many of my conversations have been this way lately. I haven´t taken the time to really know how other people are doing, and haven´t felt that they´re interested in me either.

To me connecting with someone implies give and take. It implies a flow of thoughts, of interests, of hearts. By connecting we are plugging into someone else´s world, feeling a little of what it is to be that someone.

You know what? I am dis-connected. My own world has consumed me too much lately and I´ve barely had room for others. This is one plan in the making...connecting...there we go...I hear the signal now...

4 comentários:

Michelle disse...

oi reesha, que delicia olhar no seu blog e ver que voce tinha posted. Entendo muito bem o que voce disse, e muito dificil mesmo de connect com outros. o chris sempre me fala que eu tenho que ligar para minhas irmas para "unload" mas eu falo pra ele que nem sei por onde comecar. ao em vez de perguntar, "is this a good time to talk" teria que ser, "is this a good week to talk?" Eu realmente acho que demoraria no minimo uma semana!

E muito dificil de achar "kindred spirits"....muito...

Linda disse...

I enjoy reading your blog Reesha. One thing I like about reading the blogs of others is that I find lots of kindred spirits. Of course, they are kindred spirits that I rarely see or speak with,(so maybe that's sort of lazy on my part) but it's nice to know they are out there.

I'm glad you're one of them.

Love, Linda

Anônimo disse...

Reesha,
Oh how I wish you were here, or I there so we could sit and drink hot coffee ( or cold coke) and talk. Really talk. I miss talking to you, and loving your heart.
I feel the way you do sometimes, and if I didn't have Michelle here I would feel more like that more often. ( thank you for sharing her with me!)
I get sad sometimes thinking that God gave me this incredible family when I married your brother- but we are so so far away from you all.
I miss you - and I LOVE you!
Even though you guys are SO far away I think of you all often.
Love you
- your favorite sister in law.

Heidi disse...

Reesha,

I so agree with you. I have gone to church and walked through the building having just the type of conversations you talked about feeling like I was part of a bad skit but it is real life. It makes me want to cry at times. Thank you for sharing so I know that I am not the only one feeling empty with this.

Heidi (Schuna)